Avoid These 6 Boat Storage Mistakes
1. Just picking any boat storage unit. It would be a mistake to not check out your storage unit before you use it. The unit should keep your boat sheltered from the elements and away from any other hazards. You also want the unit to be safe from burglary or theft.
2. Forgetting to remove your equipment from your boat. Leaving loose items in your boat increases the risk of having them damaged or stolen. Anything left in your boat should be secured and safely protected. Things like fish finders, computers and radios are high-theft items to pay particular attention to.
3. Neglecting maintenance and protective measures. Changing the oil, refreshing the cooling system, prepping the engine, and greasing the steering mechanism are all examples of steps that should not be forgotten before putting your watercraft in boat storage.
4. Leaving your boat dirty. Letting your boat sit in boat storage for a whole season with grime and water on it is a bad idea. A thorough washing and waxing will help to keep it clean and prevent the boat from being damaged by materials left behind on the hull. Don’t forget to also wash and clean the deck and interior before leaving your vessel in boat storage.
5. Forgetting to cover your boat. Although boat storage units provide protection from the elements, some outdoor units are still open to dust and debris. Making sure your boat has a good cover that is tightly applied will help to ensure that it is completely protected while in boat storage.
6. Leaving your battery behind. You want to make sure that you have a battery that works, so don’t just leave the battery in your boat while it is in storage. Instead, bring it home with you and keep it on a charger. Alternatively, some boat storage facilities have a charger that you can place your battery on to keep it ready to go. Failure to have your battery charged could leave you without the ability to get your boat started, so don’t skip this step.
Take these tips and ensure that you are properly ready to take your boat out of storage when the time comes. Each one of these steps will help keep your boat safe, secure and in good condition. You won’t regret taking a bit of extra time to do it right.